Winding Down with Naomi

Hmm...what is this all about, really? It's me jotting down ideas about things that go on in my life, and some occassional pictures of things I've seen and done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Friday, April 01, 2011

Lenten musings

As part of my Lenten devotions I have taken up reading The Book of Concord. You would think that I'd have read it all before, but this is my first time through. I have an editied by Kolb and Wengert version, and am currently working my way through the German translation, following the Left side page. I know I wont make it through the whole thing this Lenten season, but I'm making bigger strides than I thought I would!

Some thoughts that have come up relating to lent and the book of concord.

One teaching that I was shocked to read about, in the Augsburg Confession, that Lutherans were professing against, was that the Lord's supper was seen as what we do to atone for our current sins, or provide a sacrifice for sins to obtain grace by our works. That Christ died and his death only removes original sin and he instituted his supper (or the Mass) as a sacrifice for other sins. Article XXIV

How does it always come back to how our sinful selves can do something to make things right? Why can't we trust and believe that God forgives sins for the sake of Jesus, not because of any worthiness on our parts?

"8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast."Ephesians 2: 8-9

I am thankful that God has it all planned out and fixed for us, in spite of us!

3 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

Well said. Thank you Naomi.

2:50 p.m., April 01, 2011  
Anonymous 3cK said...

The same stuff keeps repeating itself. Thanks for sharing.

4:40 p.m., April 01, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Sweetie--

what an undertaking to read the Book of Concord. I'm impressed.

My girls know all the names of the 12 disciples off by heart...and Max can say "I love you"--well, the words aren't clear but the inflection and sound is there "I-uh-oo"

2:36 p.m., April 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home