Winding Down with Naomi

Hmm...what is this all about, really? It's me jotting down ideas about things that go on in my life, and some occassional pictures of things I've seen and done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Stop and smell the roses

Query of the day. Do you actually have to STOP to smell the roses? Don't they have enough of a permiating scent that you could just walk past them and you'd get a noseful?

In answer to these thoughts, I will let you know just how hard I tried to smell the roses without stopping today...not that I was in a particular rush or anything.

First of all, it is important to know that on the walk to the library there is a church with a large and full rose garden, which usually has roses to be seen. Today there was a multitude of roses reaching over the wall to be smelled by the passers-by.
I noticed these, and tried to smell, as best I could, what I knew would be a wonderful scent. Nothing. So, I used my hand to waft the scent closer to my nose. Nada.

Guess I'll have to make a point of STOPPING on my way home. (hehe) We'll then have first hand knowledge as to whether these are just scent-less roses or if you actually DO have to stop to smell the roses.
(I used to think that meant having to go out of your way to find the roses to smell them).

Any fun sayings that you've found the gem of truth in?

I'm enjoying my time off now. I've been on the road again...we went to Hamilton and London yesterday--to see Effie (I now am in posession of the first baby picture! (or a copy of it at least)), and to drop Tracey off at home. Plans are in motion to get me off to Moncton starting Friday!

Hope you had a great Canada day. I enjoyed the relaxing weekend at home...and the light show of the Thunderstorm we had that night.

To all the Americans out there-- enjoy your independence day- and stop and smell the roses!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... some roses just have a stronger scent than other roses. One thing I've noticed is that garden roses seem to have more of a fragrance than the roses you'd get from a flower shop, but I'll admit to having more rose garden experiences than flower shop stops!

Natural fireworks, hmmmm. Lotsa rain lately?

5:51 p.m., July 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rose bushes all through the city on public land (I'm pretty sure they're roses) are strong enough that you don't have to stop, but they also smell nice enough that sometimes you just want to pause for a second before your nose adapts and you can't smell them anymore.

7:26 a.m., July 05, 2006  
Blogger Effie said...

There aren't too many roses around here, but now I have lovely ones on my dining room table--it was LOVELY to have all of you over on Monday!

Did Mom want her strawberry quart baskets back?

3:54 p.m., July 05, 2006  
Blogger Naomi said...

I attempted the stop and smell. It worked a little bit, but these are almost fragrance-less roses. Very odd.

We're getting construction in Clarksburg...they've posted the signs, though there are no other signs of anything happening.

I should probably head home soon...looks like rain is a possibility!

3:57 p.m., July 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naomi likes rain!!!!

6:13 p.m., July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home