Winding Down with Naomi

Hmm...what is this all about, really? It's me jotting down ideas about things that go on in my life, and some occassional pictures of things I've seen and done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Monday, August 03, 2009

Long weekend (part 1)

Hi!

Back again, in my little apartment for the next 12 weeks. I've semi-completed my "move" north. I'm in, but not unpacked, as it looks like I'll only be using this bedroom for a little while.

Last Wednesday I drove down to Dartmouth to stay at my brother Peter's place. I'm getting good at sleeping on his couch- and I think it was a cooler location to sleep, with a cross breeze, than his room. Sorry buddy! Then on Thursday morning we set out. We had decided to drive to Cape Breton and tour around. I don't know if you know this, but often when Peter and I plan on touring places together we get back weather for it. Thursday morning dawned overcast...looking like rain. (Oh, also, as I drove to Peter's place on the Wednesday, as I neared Nova Scotia I drove into a thick fog-mist...and then today as I left and entered New Brunswick I saw blue sky- that seemed fitting to go with our trip!) We decided we would take a "scenic" by the ocean route to a little museum town. Lots of fog got in the way of the view. We stopped at an info centre and took some photos of a turbulent river which we had just crossed. It looked like there were remains of a mill there...but alas, I couldn't find my camera. No pictures from me for our first day of the trip!

We made it to the town where they had the olden time museum. We ate at a Chinese/Canadian food restaurant (and yes, I did get a milkshake, just for you melissa!). Then we wandered to the museum, spent a good amount of time with the blacksmith, the printer at the printing press, the potter and a bit of time at the pharmacy, the general store, the smiths' place and then drove to the water powered sawmill. It was a very neat experience. Peter took some good photos and video...but I still hadn't found my camera. We didn't chase after the sheep that got loose, but Peter was able to pet one of them prior to that. He also got some pictures of peacocks...though how commonly they were kept in the 1800s I don't know!

After we left there we drove on to Cape Breton...with the views of the day consisting of fog, trees, and more fog. We stopped in Saint Peters for supper. It was hard to see for the fog by the time we drove through Sydney and made it to Louisbourg where we stayed for the night. At that point we were hoping for a bit better weather for the rest of the trip, but were prepaired to need jackets and umbrellas!

More soon...I have to pull up the photos that I took starting day two!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Trevor and Allison said...

What a tease! I want to see pictures! How's the place in Mirimichi? Sorry we missed you on Monday, went out for supper with the in-laws. Let me know when you're back in town next... miss you already!

9:36 a.m., August 05, 2009  
Anonymous Bec said...

mmm chocolate milkshake

2:10 p.m., August 05, 2009  
Blogger Naomi said...

Sorry for the delay, and the tease. I'm finding that I'm spending less time on photos than maybe I should be...hopefully I will remedy this tomorrow or the next day.

So far so good here. How was the time with the in-laws? I'll call you about possibly stopping in later this week.

Milkshakes are yummy. You should have one occasionally!

8:24 p.m., August 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home