Winding Down with Naomi

Hmm...what is this all about, really? It's me jotting down ideas about things that go on in my life, and some occassional pictures of things I've seen and done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Why is it always so simple?

HI!

Guess what? I'm typing this out on my new computer. (Need to set up a desk chair yet, as having a "real" computer (instead of a laptop) means that my stool has me sitting too high for the keyboard.) I will likely also have to get myself an adapter or a new printer, as my old printer (which has been my friend for 6-7 years) doesn't have a USB connection.

The question of the day is: why is it always so simple? I mean, I set up the computer, no problems there, I connected everything that needed connecting, but the internet didn't work. So I read through troubleshooting files, released my ip connection, renewed it...NOTHING. I turned off and on the modem. NOTHING.

This morning, I was ready to call in the big help. I told them what was going on. What I had tried. Guess what he said. "Try unplugging the modem for 10 seconds and replugging it in". It worked. Why??? Why would I even think to unplug and replug something that is running? Why didn't turning it off and back on again do anything? Why was the answer so simple?

Now, the fun thing is, I have a web cam. Not planning on using it now...I worked overnight and am not the prettiest sight in the world. However, I have found that it's a fun little toy, and will likely try to play and see family here, there, and everywhere via this new toy that I have up and running!

(Oh yeah, I'm getting used to my new keyboard...so far so good, but there are some issues with placement of some keys etc.)

Hope this finds you well. I'm going to go and assemble my new desk chair. It's blue.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim Kuehn said...

First off - congrats on the new computer!

Second, Cycling the power on your modem is much the same as rebooting your machine - the modem starts over with a clean slate, makes it's connection to whatever it's talking to, and you're off and running.

Finally, if you've got a web cam - check out "skype" (www.skype.com) which'll let you use the webcam to make free video calls to your friends and loved ones who are also running skype, or calls to land-lines for a low ($3 / month) charge.

Enjoy!

12:21 p.m., May 30, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun with the new computer, and the new chair. :-)

One of the reasons you have to unplug the modem instead of just shutting it off and back on has to do with capacitors. They store energy to help keep memory. They function even when the power is off, taking a trickle of power all the time. By depriving them of power altogether, they lose their memory.

There, now you've had a brief electronics lesson. :-)

Kathy

12:00 p.m., June 01, 2009  
Anonymous Peter said...

Aw shucks! I was hoping I could explain why unplugging the device makes a difference from just 'turning it off'.

Oh well.

9:13 a.m., June 02, 2009  
Anonymous Bec said...

It's because when you unplug it you free the fairies and they stop tampering with your machines.

1:48 p.m., June 03, 2009  
Anonymous 3cK said...

I like your answer best, Bec!

4:46 p.m., June 03, 2009  
Blogger Naomi said...

I'm glad the fairies are gone. They're not pleasant!

Blue skies...

3:01 p.m., June 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home