Winding Down with Naomi

Hmm...what is this all about, really? It's me jotting down ideas about things that go on in my life, and some occassional pictures of things I've seen and done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Friday, November 17, 2006

They might be...

Appropriate songs for the day!

This song has been wandering through my head off and on all day- not that I've seen the subject of it anytime recently (or you could say, in quite a couple days).

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace,
where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.
Yo Ho it's hot, the sun is not a place where we could live.
But here on earth there'd be no life without the light it gives.

We need its light.
We need its heat.
We need its energy.
Without the sun, without a doubt, there'd be no you and me.

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.
Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.

The sun is hot.
[It is so hot that everything on it is a gas, iron, copper, aluminum and many others.]

The sun is large.
[If the sun were hollow, a million earths could fit inside, and yet the sun is still only a middle-sized star.]

The sun is far away.
[About 93,000,000 miles away, and that's why it looks so small!]
And even when its out of sight, the sun shines night and day.

The Sun gives heat.
The Sun gives light.
The sunlight that we see.
The sunlight comes from our own sun's atomic energy.

[Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom-smashing machine. The heat and light of the sun come from the nuclear reactions of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and helium!]

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.
Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.


I found this song here and thought you'd all like the chance to hear the original of Why does the sun Shine...covered by They Might Be Giants. I enjoy the interjecting bits-and today, I have one!! We haven't seen it for days! Also-other fun songs can be found here.

A song that IS more fitting is one that you could think of as being sung by a bear holding a balloon...

I'm just a little black rain cloud
Hovering under your honey tree
I'm only a little black rain cloud
Pay no attention to little me
Everyone knows that a rain cloud
Never eats honey, no, not a nip
I'm just floating around
Over the ground
Wonderin' where I will drip
...


Any fun rainy day songs dripping through your head? I was trying to balance it a bit with the sun shine one!! Honest! Rain isn't the only think I think about. (Though my umbrella is misbehaving again!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I did think of "They... be Giants", I'll admit. How did you stumble across the science song website?

You're umbrella's acting up? Mine broke yesterday. Good thing I have a spare at home!

5:35 p.m., November 17, 2006  
Blogger Naomi said...

I'm glad you have a spare umbrella. I think I will have to break down and buy a new umbrella- possibly soon, as I don't think it would make a great Christmas present!

The science song website- actually it was one of the first "hits" from googling "the sun is a mass" or something similar to that! (I may have included they might be giants!)

The rain has seemed to stop- now it's just chilly outside. Today I watched both sunrise and sunset, on my way to/from/around school.

8:10 p.m., November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home