Winding Down with Naomi

Hmm...what is this all about, really? It's me jotting down ideas about things that go on in my life, and some occassional pictures of things I've seen and done.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Smalltown Canada

Over the past little while I’ve spent a lot of time in my car. The drives have often been wet (it’s been a wet summer), but they often find me traveling through some beautiful small towns.

This weekend I’ve driven through a bunch of small towns. Some of them take your breath away, others have cute little shops that I wished I had the time to stop and poke around a bit.

Some of the small towns have cute names, others, just odd names. I’ve been noting some of them, and they include: Crapaud, Travellers Rest, St Louis du Ha! Ha!, Winsloe (sounds like a good name for a pet!), Oldham, Londonderry and Pleasant Valley. What other fun names of places have you been in or seen lately?

I love the small town feel you get out here in the Maritimes, though it’s not absolutely everywhere. I was reminded of a quality of small towns that I like today- an honour system for fresh fruits/veggies edit- note by honour system I mean that they had a box for you to put the correct cash in when you picked up however many items you wanted. Today potatoes- a while back strawberries. These were found in different towns, different seasons, but both gave a very fresh and enjoyable change from the everyday. How else might potatoes and strawberries be related???

This weekend I was also able to (in small town fashion) bump into some classmates from Ottawa- while in Halifax. And not just once!! We bumped into them at the market and then later at a part of the harbourfront I'd not yet visited. Good to see them!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember the names of spots I've been through lately (from the cross-country car ride or the mom and dad visit)... For the most part I seem to stick to Halifax and Dartmouth. (Depending on who you are and how you read it, though, Dartmouth could be odd/funny).

I think I saw a thing on CBC about an honor system fruit/veggie stand--but I think the one on tv was in Ontario.

7:35 p.m., September 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Your friends from Newfoundland should have some interesting place names to share, however).

7:37 p.m., September 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Place names are often a lot of fun as you go across Canada. One of my favorite is Elbow, SK.

2:58 a.m., September 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those names as we followed the blue herons in PEI on our far too quick tour of PEI on a rainy Tuesday, not so long ago. You got to the Cavandish beach though which we didn't get to visit. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

3:01 p.m., September 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home